Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SecureBoot isn't configured correctly

Windows 8.1 SecureBoot

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

merdrich

merdrich

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 30 posts

I installed a retail upgrade of Windows 8.1 over Windows 8 on an Asus Laptop (after creating a partition that trashed the system) and now there is a message in the lower right of the desktop that says "Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600". Asus will have nothing to do with it (they say they do not support anything but the installed operating system. What a lot of bunk. I don't think they know how to deal with the problem. Anyone here know how I can get rid of the message? I've messed around in the EUFI, but it is all new to me.

15o78ma.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

Normally this is covered in the Manual.. makes no difference if the OS is changed...

also M$ has a nice how to recovery from that on there site... 

It is a Bios Setting...

http://answers.micro...ef-06896f1947c2

• dave and cognizione like this

Snuffy%20SGM.png

dave

dave

Eye is OUT for Windows 9

• Administrators
  • 5,416 posts

See if this helps.

• Snuffy, cognizione and GothicDeath like this

29gmt00.png

merdrich

merdrich

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 30 posts

With all due respect, I have followed all the comments in the Microsoft forum with no succes. There is a mismatch between the key that is hard-wired in the BIOS (EUFI) and the key that I entered after I purchased the retail version of Windows 8. Windows is activated but the message persists whether I turn SecureBoot on or off.

15o78ma.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

With all due respect then you did not upgrade under the Prescribed Method by MS.

the key has nothing to do with if you upgraded properly... so in that case you should use RESTORE provided by ASUS.

then follow the proper procedures.

• dave and Σdd¥315W3§╬ like this

Snuffy%20SGM.png

dave

dave

Eye is OUT for Windows 9

• Administrators
  • 5,416 posts

I can only go by reports, since I haven't a UEFI system

"I have now repair this "problem" on bios I have enable Secure UEFI and add my personal code..and Works..no more watermark in Windows 8.1 (before that...I have activate Windows)"

http://www.surfaceta...-watermark.html

• Snuffy likes this

29gmt00.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

Snuffy has no watermarks either... never had the Secure Boot wrong either, but then I always upgrade like M$ said...

there junk so they should know.  

Snuffy%20SGM.png

merdrich

merdrich

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 30 posts
Perhaps what was missing from my initial post was that I was unable to upgrade normally because my attempt at partitioning the C drive on the Asus computer completely trashed the system (why, I don't know) and I could not do a restore. My fault that I hadn't yet created a restore disk (I only had the system for a few hours at that point). Best Buy, from whom I purchased the computer, said there was nothing they could do short of replacing the system. I opted to buy the retail version of Windows 8 from Microsoft online. At that point I didn't know that installing the upgrade would create the key mismatch.

15o78ma.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

So your saying that you ALSO trashed the Reserve Partition on a NEW Computer, which is normally hidden, 

and takes a bios change to make so you can use it...

might be time for a lot os info from you on what 

you do have... belarc will help post the specs 

Snuffy%20SGM.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Sr Member

• Beta Tester
  • 437 posts

Is the secure boot crap now running on win 8.1? I know in 8.0 it never got finished and we did not have to worry about it. Maybe that is why i got an error setting up linux on dual boot for the 1st time ever. But it was trying to do it on 8.1 lol

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

I disabled EUFI on mine GB. also in in HP Laptop.  the rest of my junk is so old it has no idea what it means

• Σdd¥315W3§╬ likes this

Snuffy%20SGM.png

dave

dave

Eye is OUT for Windows 9

• Administrators
  • 5,416 posts

Is the secure boot crap now running on win 8.1? I know in 8.0 it never got finished and we did not have to worry about it. Maybe that is why i got an error setting up linux on dual boot for the 1st time ever. But it was trying to do it on 8.1 lol

Again, from what I've read GothicDeath, you'll  hafta enable Legacy Boot to dual w/ linux & W8.1.

• Snuffy likes this

29gmt00.png

Gyrxiur

Gyrxiur

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 210 posts

This is clearly MS bug,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/secureboot-isnt-configured-correctly-watermark/138e14f2-11f4-45fe-9363-16ffc1d8c30c

Only way if you want to keep uefi booting mode and you don't have any option to fix it in bios is modifying system files. Instructions by me in above link.

• Maxed likes this

bw9.png

People should help each other, not kill each other.

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

Regenerated

• Global Moderator
  • 2,658 posts

In your original post, you installed a retail (?) upgrade over Windows 8?

You should have waited for the official release and upgraded through the store.  That's the reason Microsoft or the MFG will not touch this issue.

1zbfi1f.jpg

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

Microsoft posted info on how to upgrade  if you had EUFI - the same way you upgraded from -OEM - Std -> to Pro or Ent. 

you actually have 2 method. and detailed very closely how to. 

1. is use a USB Backup to Restore... rather easy to do, (also really stupid-because  you would have to read it)

2. enter the key in add features....

3. (WAIT FOR THE STORE TO OFFER.) 

• dave likes this

Snuffy%20SGM.png

billydong

billydong

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 141 posts

I installed a retail upgrade of Windows 8.1 over Windows 8 on an Asus Laptop (after creating a partition that trashed the system) and now there is a message in the lower right of the desktop that says "Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600". Asus will have nothing to do with it (they say they do not support anything but the installed operating system. What a lot of bunk. I don't think they know how to deal with the problem. Anyone here know how I can get rid of the message? I've messed around in the EUFI, but it is all new to me.

when i installed with legit retail key it was fine for 1 wk then key got black listed just a warning i wuld uninstall while key still work.

BW9loverSmall_zps4a7056be.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Global Moderator
  • 6,686 posts

many times when that happened all one had to do was click get Genuine and let M$ validate it... many Windows XP thru Windows 7 was that way.

nothing new or strange.

Snuffy%20SGM.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Sr Member

• Beta Tester
  • 437 posts

Thanks for the info guys, I will look into turning back on legacy boot so i can reinstall linux.

• dave likes this

Posted Image

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

Regenerated

• Global Moderator
  • 2,658 posts

Upgraded to 8.1 today by passing through the store.  I got the watermark too.

I changed my setting to on and ended up turning on to a black screen!  I could not get past it.  Did get a beep, no video or activity.

Intel board DZ77SL-50K, so I downloaded the latest BIOS (bio) and did a emergency boot USB flash, finally got a screen again.

Still have the watermark and not so eager to try that again!  Took three hours getting my backup system working to get back on the internet...  don't use it, you will loose it, as they say.

So, if someone else comes up with a quick fix on this I'll appreciate any ideas!

Update - read Intel's instructions on this matter, same problem again, black screen.  Microsoft has a page describing this issue says it's because of new hardware added after secureboot is turned on..  not he issue here and they had no solution, so this is indeed a Microsoft bug.  Another hour wasted!

1zbfi1f.jpg

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Sr Member

• Beta Tester
  • 437 posts

Yea, im still not having luck getting my linux duel boot going. Making me mad (no way to change options for EUFI. I want my linux install besides my windows system and i'm not running my linux from VM when i need it as a real install.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 8.1, SecureBoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users