Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

How To Turn off Live Tiles In Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Guest_NCS_*

Guest_NCS_*
  • Guests
We have been covering tutorials and news for Windows 8  release preview for the last few days and here is another one in the series. As you all know Windows 8 release preview was released some days back. You also know that there is little time left for the actual release of Windows 8. The start screen of this version of Windows also has many new features. One of these features is live tiles.

Live tiles receive updates from the internet and display them on the screen. For example, a social networking live tile will enable you to see the latest status updates of your friends and an email live tile will allow you to get a preview of the email.

This allows the start screen to be dynamic. So, you can get updates without actually opening the apps. Moreover, as they get updates through the internet, a very small amount of data is used.

However, if you do not want live tiles on your start screen, you can disable them. This will stop the live tiles from getting updates from the internet. In other words, the desktop will become static. Disabling live tiles in Windows 8 is an easy process. The instructions for this easy process are given below.

Instructions for Turning off Live Tiles in Windows 8

Step1: Start Windows 8. When the start screen is displayed, go to the app for which you don’t want updates.

Step 2: Right click on the app. This will display a menu with a number of different options.

Step 3: From this menu, select “turn live tiles off”. This will disable the updating of the particular app. You can disable live tiles of multiple apps in this way.

Step 4: Repeat step 1 to 3 if you want to turn live tiles on again.

You can also limit the amount of data used by live tiles by changing the settings. This can be done by going to the settings menu in the charm bar.

As said before, Windows 8 has a lot of new features. Many things like the start screen have been changed. However, you don’t have to live with the new settings that you don’t like. You can change the settings and disable some of them easily. This fact is illustrated by the simple tutorial above.

Stay tuned for more news and tutorials for Windows 8.

Source:
http://geekchunk.com/how-to/an-easy-guide-to-turning-off-live-tiles-in-windows-8/

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

Hero Sandwich

• Global Moderator
  • 3,110 posts
Like!

1zbfi1f.jpg

petrossa

petrossa

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 1,976 posts
[rant]
I know i come over as a total bore harping on, but aren't you describing how to step by step remove Modern UI from the OS? If so, what is the point on installing the OS in the first place? It's marginally better in some functional area's but nothing major.

I am seriously curious what drives people. Is it because it's 'new'. Because it's the 'future'? Is it the same thing that makes Applers buy the latest Apple whatever?

Maybe it's my age and i am really becoming to old for this, but in my vision stuff is there to be used not to 'make you one of the gang'. As now, i see everyone suddenly with these huge headphones instead of earphones. How happy i was to be rid of those cumbersome things 20 years ago. Today i wanted to buy another pair of earphones, hardly to be found.

Consumerism has become a goal in itself, as exemplified by this Windows 8.

Tablets are gadgets all said and done. They are handy for certain tasks but a disaster for most normal uses. Fumbly, big to lug around for what you can do with them. So a keyboard gets added so is becomes somewhat usable, turning it into a clumsy expensive notebook with a buttugly Modern UI interface.

If that's not bad enough, now it's foisted on everyone's desktop and even the most avid proponents post how to deactivate that UI step by step as workaround get discovered to do so.

And no single user of the mess asks himself: why in hell am i doing this? Why do i install a new OS and then remove everything that makes it different?

Jezus, i'm getting old  :'(

[/rant]

ovXAB.png

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Guest_NCS_*

Guest_NCS_*
  • Guests

[rant]
I know i come over as a total bore harping on, but aren't you describing how to step by step remove Modern UI from the OS? If so, what is the point on installing the OS in the first place? It's marginally better in some functional area's but nothing major.

I am seriously curious what drives people. Is it because it's 'new'. Because it's the 'future'? Is it the same thing that makes Applers buy the latest Apple whatever?

Maybe it's my age and i am really becoming to old for this, but in my vision stuff is there to be used not to 'make you one of the gang'. As now, i see everyone suddenly with these huge headphones instead of earphones. How happy i was to be rid of those cumbersome things 20 years ago. Today i wanted to buy another pair of earphones, hardly to be found.

Tablets are gadgets all said and done. They are handy for certain tasks but a disaster for most normal uses. Fumbly, big to lug around for what you can do with them. So a keyboard gets added so is becomes somewhat usable, turning it into a clumsy expensive notebook with a buttugly Modern UI interface.

If that's not bad enough, now it's foisted on everyone's desktop and even the most avid proponents post how to deactivate that UI step by step as workaround get discovered to do so.

And no single user of the mess asks himself: why in hell am i doing this? Why do i install a new OS and then remove everything that makes it different?

[/rant]

well opinion's are like assholes...everyone has one  :histerija:

Falcon1

Falcon1

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 210 posts

[rant]

[/rant]

Hye..hye...hye! What's with all the damn logic  :banghead:

You are right actually, :-)  I agree with what you saying above. Only thing I can say for people's this behavior is that youngsters always like bright new shiny things their own way..means wasting time, money and loads of effort.

2uppwn7.png

petrossa

petrossa

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 1,976 posts

And they all stink;-)

ovXAB.png

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,544 posts

That remark and Windows 8 have a lot in common... both being the same old tired BS. :roll:

o89e9t.png

Blue3ffect

Blue3ffect

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 11 posts

[rant]

[/rant]

Sorry for the short novel... I am concise, but I am by no means brief unless I have to be... and here, I don't! ;)

I agree with you to some extent, but not entirely.

For starters, people are always trying to upgrade to the new whatever.  Somebody mentioned that this is the youngsters and that they are wasting time, money, and effort (paraphrased because I don't want to bother embedding the quote in here right now) but this simply is not the case.  I obviously don't know what anybody's experience, work or otherwise, is, but I can tell you that this need to upgrade to the latest versions extends all the way out to the oldest of users, especially at the professional level.  At my previous job we did support for our long time customers for free and offered it bundled with the systems we integrated for all customers.  The most common problem that required support was these IT professionals upgrading to the latest version of whatever flavour of Linux their servers were running and it totally breaking everything.  Obviously the first question we would ask them is why they upgraded, what did they need from the new version that the old version didn't provide them.  The most common answer:

"Uhh.... It was released... and it's newer?"

We live in a society where the mentality is that anything that is newer must be better and that we need it even though we don't know why we need it (or, usually, don't need it).  This is most new in electronics where even a year old is usually considered 'ancient' anymore because the product lifecycle keeps getting shorter and shorter so that companies can release newer versions faster and, thus, yield higher revenues.  The truth is that most of these don't offer significant benefits and even those that do are usually not required by the user in the first place.  Android was a good example of this for a while and the media grabbed onto it and canvased the internet with it for quite a while.  The update cycle hasn't really improved for Android devices and most are still running outdated versions of the OS and yet I hardly see anything about it any longer.  A few people got it in their mind that because a newer version was released by Google that they must have it and that because it wasn't available for their phone (though they couldn't pinpoint the reason why in almost 100% of cases) that somebody was cheating them and they were somehow suffering greatly.  Never mind that the only app they used was Meebo.  This is a real example of a fellow student of mine when I was still in college... he only used the Meebo IM chat, made phone calls, and sent text messages... but he was livid that he couldn't upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2.  The worst part, he was a computer science major with an emphasis on embedded devices and now works as a consultant  :banghead:  Of course some of the upgrades did provide some benefits, but the truth is that most of the improvements were things that the average user who was complaining about it would never use and even the performance benefits were so minimal that they provided no real benefit at all, just a perceived one.

So, to sum up the long bit there, I agree that we live in a society where everyone feels this crazy need to upgrade regardless of what benefit it provides them. 

At this early level, most PC users will see absolutely no benefit (or possibly even a hindrance that they have to try to mitigate by removing the additional features that are only getting in their way) from upgrading.  However, there is actual reason to eventually upgrade as Windows 7 will not receive the same support that Windows 8 will.  This wasn't handled in quite the same way as things were with XP that continued to receive support for a long time because Vista struggled so much.  The transition between Windows 7 and Windows 8 should be much smoother though as, like you noted, the changes really aren't that significant and are mostly just cosmetic with numerous workarounds even if it doesn't suit your needs.  This will most notably be seen for gamers, though, and not a real issue of productivity.  The same thing is what drive me to have a Windows Vista and a Windows XP drive early on.  If I remember right, it was DirectX10 that wasn't supported on Windows XP and was on Windows Vista and one of the initial big selling points aimed at gamers.  I played several games that looked and performed better under Windows Vista (back when I still had time to play video games  :() but I hated the operating system itself because it was so unstable for me, especially in those early days of its initial release.  I see the same thing happening for future versions of DirectX and other technologies -- included with Windows 8 but not Windows 7.  Why?  Because, as you pointed out, there isn't really any need for users to upgrade, so they have to create that need with a carrot.  If you want these features, you have to upgrade.

As for tablets, I have to disagree.  Like everything in technology (and, well, really life), there are always trade-off's with everything.  The same thing applies for the difference between PC's and laptops.  Every product offered has its advantages and disadvantages.  I got my first table for free at Google IO 2011, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.  At that time I didn't really see the value in tablets for the most part, either, and was in a position where I was happy to be given one for free for attending the conference, but wouldn't have otherwise bought one myself.  Truthfully, Android hasn't released a tablet that I would buy yet because the incentive just isn't there for the prices asked (unless you buy one of the, in my opinion, "junky" off brand models).  But, having been given the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for free, I have actually gotten significant use out of it.  For me, I mostly use it around the house to consume, but I do take it around with me on occasion.  I'm not really sure what you mean about them being "bulky" other than maybe your qualification for bulky is that it won't fit in your pocket (though, the 7" tabs will fit in some of my back pockets or side pockets if wearing a pair of cargos).  Are tablets PC replacements?  For many who only use their computer to consume media and to read/send emails, it very well could be.  For myself?  Not a chance.  As for them being clumsy, I presume you are referring to interacting with content on them, notably how large of a pointer you use (your finger).  I can somewhat give you this one.  A finger is definitely not as precise as a mouse where you have single pixel precision with ease.  I would argue, however, that most consumer applications don't require that precision and that with minimal practice the touch interface (if the UI is designed properly, which is one of the reasons why Microsoft did what they did with Windows 8 and where it really shines, touch devices) is more than suitable.

Personally, I'm still going to continue running Windows 7 and various flavours of Linux in my home.  But, to each their own.

Posted Image

petrossa

petrossa

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 1,976 posts
A nice novelette indeed. :P

For good order i have 2 tablets which i use as an enterainment center and a smart-tv respectively. Both are fixed on a stand. And very handy and useful.

Very nice gadgets indeed. Bulky as in: not something to lug around in view of what you can do with it. A notebook which comes closest in size is far more useful. Add a keyboard to a tablet and you have a bad clumsy bulky notebook with less functionality.

In real life they are next to useless as anything else but as you said: reading tweets and emails. Even surfing the net is crap, since you get hardly ever a proper view since there is only the choice in sites between mobile (meaning tiny) and desktop (meaning too much) if there is a choice at all.

This idiotic idea MS has spread like a virus (even Google is going to inflict on Android with JB 4.2 onwards) that one ring can master them all is going to make life a hell for many for years to come.

YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A PHONE ON A COMPUTER SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A TABLET ON A COMPUTER SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A PHONE ON A TABLET SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A TABLET ON A PHONE SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A COMPUTER ON A PHONE SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE GUI FOR A COMPUTER ON A TABLET SINCE THEY HAVE TOTALLY DIFFERENT USES.

Posted Image

ovXAB.png

drew23

drew23

• Members
  • 1 posts
You miss the whole point of Windows 8, it is the same user interface for all devices, phone through desktop.

MS is delivering a complete multi-level ecosystem that all works together, and more importantly for business, can be administered centrally.

If you want desktop on a tablet or desktop, click the tile and you are back to essentially W7. You can even use a mouse with Surface, to feel completely at home, or transfer files to your network; try doing that with an iPad.

On phones there won't (can't) be a desktop, so Office becomes a series of tiles, as it does with W8 on other devices. Neat.

Try using W8 on differnt devices and you will see why it is designed the way it is.

kid185

kid185

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 9 posts
I keep reading in various posts, that a good reason for updating to windows 8 is the fact that it will get updates longer than windows 7.  Have you guys all lost your minds.  The truth of the matter is, by the time microsoft quits supporting windows 7 fully, you can go out and replace it with windows 9 or even 10.

Microsoft says they will support windows 7 until 2015, and that they want to bring out a new windows every two years.  Do the math guys, and quit using update availability as a reason to get windows 8.

k1dlpl.png

petrossa

petrossa

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 1,976 posts
No i get the point and that's exactly the point.

You can't put the UI of a car on a train. Well you can, but it's a nightmare.

As for updates go FUD, 7 is updated and good for 10 years if not longer. It does what it does. Until mindcontrol of a computer really comes feasible there is no real reason to switch except if enough suckers buy into MS's strategy of manipulating everyone into MS store and from thereon being MS ATM's.

What is needed is a buyers strike.

Do the math guys, you're being conned.

ovXAB.png

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,544 posts
Since I have actually gave this OS a chance and never mind the crap UI. With a fresh install, seen Freezes and Black Screens. Then when I try to manipulate to the crash window to cancel, I cannot! I try to highlight certain screens and as soon as I move the mouse (also Alt-Tab) it goes back to original window. Not to mention the major freezes have happened with programs written with 8 in mind. Then there are other programs written for earlier OS's that don't work without wayyyy too much hassle. Even when using compatibility modes.

Speed difference is not visible on my PC, maybe on lower end PC's it is? I haven't seen one thing that makes me want to hand my main computer (or any other) over to Windows 8. I was and still am trying to see some great advantage of Windows 8 over 7, it's just not there! Lets not even mention the useless W8 Apps! My opinion...

I saw a TV commercial with a young child using W8. The kid clicked one big square and saw something happen, then was happy as could be. Seems to be what this is all about.

o89e9t.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users